Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Happy Memories

Lately these days, I have been so exhausted after a day of work that the thought of opening up a book to read just hasn't appealed to me, which is sad because I really LOVE to read.  It's gotten so bad that I did what I vowed I'd never do, saw the movie BEFORE finishing the book.  Truth be told, I was never going to get through that book. I had started reading it a year ago and still was on page 60!

But tonight was going to be different.  I decided to just start something, even if I didn't get very far.  I picked up a book entitled "When Elephants Weep." It was given to me from a friend and former IBM co-worker, Ruth.  Back in 1995! I know what your thinking, "she never gets through books."  But that's simply not true.  For some reason, though, I had never even started this one.  I suspect it had something to do with the work schedule back then.

I was determined! I opened the book and started to read when a little piece of paper fell out of the book. It was a note from Ruth!  Wow, a 17 year old note that I had never read. It brought such a smile to my face.  What a wonderful gift. To finally get back to a favorite hobby and find a note from one of my favorite co-workers.  We had worked long, hard hours together both in Poughkeepsie and in Germany. And, although the work was challenging, there were many great times. A ballet in Berlin, a visit to the tower in Ulm, making pumpkin pie for our German co-workers, and sharing wonderful dinners with Benno and his family.

And then I had to chuckle. The note finished with "but don't tell me when you pick up this book to read, or I may worry that you don't have enough work to do :-)"  Ha! I think I'm safe now..

Write-on
Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment